Sunday, 26 February 2017

Top 15 Favorite Best Actress-Winning Performances

Throughout this month, I have decided to do a series of Oscar-related articles in antecipation to tonight's 89th Academy Awards ceremony. Yesterday, I told you my top 15 favorite Best Actor-winning performances (from 1929 to 2015), so today I thought I would do the same, but for Best Actress winners instead. As I have said before, please bear in mind that this is my own personal opinion, which of course is limited to the films I have seen so far.

***********************************************************
#15: Joan Crawford as Mildred Pierce
in Mildred Pierce (1945)

Mildred Pierce: I was always in the kitchen. I felt as though I'd been born in a kitchen and lived there all my life, except for the few hours it took to get married.


***********************************************************
#14: Joan Fontaine as Lina McLaidlaw Aysgarth
in Suspicion (1941)

Lina McLaidlaw Aysgarth: I must go now or I'll be late to luncheon. Anyway, if my father saw me come in both late and beautiful, he might have a stroke.


***********************************************************
#13: Elizabeth Taylor as Martha
in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)

Martha: I'm loud and I'm vulgar, and I wear the pants in the house because somebody's got to, but I am not a monster. I'm not!


***********************************************************
#12: Olivia de Havilland as Jody Norris
in To Each His Own (1946)

Jody Norris: Let me give y'all a little news flash. There ain't nothin' out there can kill fuckin' Ron Woodroof in 30 days.


***********************************************************
#11: Sandra Bullock as Leigh Anne Tuohy
in The Blind Side (2009)

Beth: You're changing that boy's life.
Leigh Anne Tuohy: No, he's changing mine.


***********************************************************
#10: Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara
in Gone with the Wind (1939)

Scarlett O'Hara: As God as my witness, I shall never go hungry again.


***********************************************************
#9: Liza Minnelli as Sally Bowles
in Cabaret (1972)

Sally Bowles: That's me, darling. Unusual places, unusual love affairs. I am a most strange and extraordinary person.


***********************************************************
#8: Claudette Colbert as Ellen "Ellie" Andrews
in It Happened One Night (1934)

Ellen "Ellie" Andrews: I proved once and for all that the limb is mightier than the thumb.


***********************************************************
#7: Kate Winslet as Hanna Schmitz
in The Reader (2008)

Hanna Schmitz: It doesn't matter what I feel. It doesn't matter what I think. The dead are still dead.


***********************************************************
#6: Brie Larson as Joy Newsome
in Room (2015)

Joy Newsome: I'm sorry that I'm not nice anymore, but you know what? Maybe if your voice saying "be nice" hadn't been in my head, then maybe I wouldn't have helped the guy with the fucking sick dog! 

***********************************************************
#5: Jennifer Lawrence as Tiffany Maxwell
in Silver Linings Playbook (2012)

Tiffany Maxwell: Humanity is just nasty and there's no silver lining.


 ***********************************************************
#4: Marion Cotillard as Édith Piaf
in La Vie en Rose (2007)

Édith Piaf: I can't? Then what's the point of being Édith Piaf?


 ***********************************************************
#3: Audrey Hepburn as Princess Ann
in Roman Holiday (1953)

Princess Ann: I've never been alone with a man before, even with my dress on. With my dress off, it's MOST unusual.


 ***********************************************************
#2: Jane Wyman as Belinda MacDonald
in Johnny Belinda (1948)

Lina McLaidlaw Aysgarth: Let me give y'all a little news flash. There ain't nothin' out there can kill fuckin' Ron Woodroof in 30 days.


 ***********************************************************
#1: Judy Holliday as Billie Dawn
in Born Yesterday (1950)

Billie Dawn: [My father] always used to say, "Never do nothing you wouldn't want printed on the front page of The New York Times."

***********************************************************
And there you have it. My top 15 favorite Best Actress-winning performances. Did I name some of your favorites? Were you surprised by my choices?

No comments:

Post a Comment