Skip to main content

A Second, Third, Fourth & Fifth Liebster Awards

A couple of weeks ago, both Phyl of Phyllis Loves Classic Movies and Bonnie of Classic Reel Girl nominated me for two Liebster Awards, which reminded me that Virginie of The Wonderful World of Cinema and Simoa of Simoa Writes had also nominated me months ago and I completely forgot to answer them. Shame on me! So to all of you four lovely girls — thank you so much for including my humble Back to Golden Days in your list of nominated blogs. It really does mean a lot to me. Five Liebsters — Michaela of Love Letters to Old Hollywood nominated me for my first Liebster almost a year ago — in my first year and a half of blogging is more than I could ever have asked for when I entered this journey in February 2015. Virginie and Simoa, I hope you can forgive me for taking this long to do it. I am sure you all know by now what the Liebster Award is and what it consists of, so without further ado, let's get on with the show. 

 

MY QUESTIONS:

1. If time travel were possible, which era would you travel to?
2. Favourite film from 1939?
3. Which actor/actress would you want to co-star in a film with?
4. Favourite film that has won the Academy Award for Best Picture?
5. Favourite movie scene?
6. Is there a film you wish would have ended differently?
7. If you could bring a fictional character to life, which one would you choose?
8. Favourite television character?
9. What film have you seen more times than any other?
10. Classic movie star that you can't stand or simply don't like.
11. Favourite Olivia de Havilland film? 
 
 
ANSWERS TO VIRGINIE'S QUESTIONS:

1. If you had to «promote» a not too well known classic film, what will be your choice?
The first one that comes to mind is William A. Wellman's Small Town Girl (1936), with Janet Gaynor and Robert Taylor. It is one of the cutest films I have ever seen and Janet and Taylor are a surprisingly good team. A dork named James Stewart is an added bonus.

2. You are participating to the making of a film. What's your job?
I think I would probably be the screenwriter because I love to write and create stories. Or maybe something to do with the wardrobe department because I also really love fashion and clothes.

3. Do you share your birthday with one of your favourite movie stars? If yes, who?
Yes, I do. I happen to share a birthday with the most wonderful Mr. Burt Lancaster. We were both born on November 2nd, but 76 years apart.

4. What is your favourite movie score?
Let's see... Pearl Harbor (2001) is very good; I especially like a piece called «Tennessee.» Changeling (2008) is phenomenal; it was written by Clint Eastwood (who also directed the film) and it is very eerie and moody and I think it elevates the picture to a whole new level. Atonement (2007) is quite beautiful as well.

5. How many films per week do you usually watch?
It depends. There are weeks when I watch a film practically every day, there are others when I don't watch any film at all. But on a good week, I would say probably about 4 or 5 films.

6. What do you think is the most CREATIVE movie ever made and why?
The first one that pops to mind, at least in terms of visual style, is The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014), which I think is absolutely genius and also one of the strangest films I have ever seen — in a good way, though. First of all, it's a story within a story within a story within a story, which is crazy, but also quite clever. The film also alternates between three time periods and each one of them is shot in a different aspect ratio, which tell us where we are in the timeline. I have never seen any of this being done in a film before and the results are rather spectacular. It makes the film an absolute treat to the eyes. Another picture that I think is quite innovative is Boyhood (2014), at least in the way that it was produced. It was filmed over a period of 12 years with the same actors, so instead of reverting to make-up or different actors to show the characters' aging process, they aged naturally, which I think made the film more authentic and unique.

7. Do you have a child name after a certain movie star or movie character? Or are you planning this for your future kid (if you plan to have one, or many!).
I'm Portuguese, so I don't think I would be able to give my children English names. However, I absolutely love the name Eugene after Gene Kelly, who is one of my favorite people in the whole entire world. I also love the name Flynn, after Errol Flynn; Glenn, after Glenn Ford; Clarence, after Frank Sinatra's character in Anchors Aweigh (1945); and Clyde, after Warren Beatty's character in Bonnie and Clyde (1967). For a girl, I quite like Natalie, after Natalie Wood; Eleanor, after Eleanor Powell or Eleanor Parker; Evelyn, after Evelyn Keyes; Olivia, after Olivia de Havilland; and Harlow, after Jean Harlow. Goodness gracious, that's a lot of names! 

8. How much does classic films influence your everyday life?
For as much as I love classic films, I wouldn't say they have a huge influence in my «everyday» life. I mean, they obviously influence me to write blog posts, which I do practically every day (I always try to write my articles in advance). One influence that classic films have in my life, though, is the way that I sometimes dress. If I see a clothing item or a pair of shoes that remind of something I might have seen an actress wear in a film, I always tend to buy it (if I can afford it).

9. What are you planning to do to honour Olivia de Havilland on her centennial?
See, this is why I should have answered this months ago. To celebrate Olivia de Havilland's 100th birthday, I had a special Olivia de Havilland-themed weekend: first, I wrote a general tribute article about her; then I posted an article about To Each His Own (1946) for my «Film Friday» and one about The Heiress (1949) for The Olivia de Havilland Centenary Blogathon; and lastly I did a pictorial tribute. I also plan to write a post about her relationship with Errol Flynn, both on and off-screen, and one about her «feud» with Joan Fontaine.
 
10. What do you enjoy the most about blogging?
I love the research aspect of it (I always do some research before writing my articles) and also the interaction with other bloggers. When I started this blog, I never imagined there would be so many people out there who love and appreciate classic films as much I do.

11. Do you have any advice, suggestions for future bloggers?
Write about what you love, be that classic films, fashion or anything else that you are passionate about, check your sources, check your spelling (that's always important) and be polite.
 
 
ANSWERS TO SIMOA'S QUESTIONS:

1. A book you wish could/should be adapted into a film.
I would love to see a film version of The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger, which is quite possibly my favorite book of all time. But it would have to be very carefully thought out, because I think it is quite a difficult book to translate onto the screen.

2. Worst film you've ever seen.
I would not exactly called them the worst films I have ever seen, but there are a few that I disliked immensely, for instance Citizen Kane (1941), Heathers (1988), The Thin Red Line (1998), Children of Men (2006) and Foxcatcher (2014).

3. A film so bad it's good.
I don't know, really. If I think a film is bad, then I think it's bad.
 
4. Two actors from classic Hollywood you wished had worked together / Two actors you want to work together now.
Gene Kelly and Ginger Rogers. Honestly, how didn't anyone ever think of that!? A film with Gene and Eleanor Powell would have been amazing as well. Two actors I want to work together now... Maybe Christian Bale and Carey Mulligan, in some kind of period drama. I would also really love to see James Norton and Emilia Clarke work together, again in some sort of period piece.

5. Classic film that could be made today / Modern film that could have been made in the studio era.
I can't think of a classic film that could be made today, but I think Brooklyn (2015), for instance, is a modern film that could have easily been made in the studio era, particularly in the 1950s. It's a beautiful love story between a young Irish girl named Eilis (beautifully played by Saoirse Ronan) who emigrates to New York in the early 1950s and falls in love with a Italian-American boy called Tony (played by Emory Cohen). Her past eventually catches up to her and she must decide which country — and which life — is better for her.
 
6. Favourite wardrobe from a film.
The wardrobe is always one of the things I notice the most when watching a film, so I have a quite a few favorites. These include Esther Williams' gowns in Thrill of a Romance (1945), especially the white flower dress; Grace Kelly's gowns in To Catch a Thief (1955), particularly this white dress; and that stunning white gown worn by Ginger Rogers in The Barkleys of Broadway (1949). Saoirse Ronan's outfits in Brooklyn are quite beautiful as well. I could definitely see myself wearing some of them, especially this one.

7. Favourite soundtrack.
Across the Universe (2007), Killing Bono (2011) and Rock of Ages (2012). After watching these films, I had their soundtracks on repeat for months.

8. Favourite film quote.
Without any doubt, «Here's looking at you, kid.» from Casablanca (1942). This line sums up the whole film for me and the way Humphrey Bogart delivers it is amazing.

9. Favourite animated film.
I'm not really a fan of animated films, but I would say probably Cinderella (1950). It's the perfect fairytale.

10. Favourite remake.
I would say probably Waterloo Bridge (1940), remake of the 1931 film of the same name; An Affair to Remember (1957), remake of Love Affair (1939); and Heaven Can Wait (1978), remake of Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941). I love Warren Beatty in Heaven Can Wait.

11. Favorite period piece.
If there's one thing I like is period pieces, so if I were to name all of my favorites, we would be here all week. Some of my favorites include the film Pride and Prejudice (2005) and the TV shows Downton Abbey, The Musketeers and Grantchester. And if you count Band of Brothers and The Pacific as period dramas per se, then those are my absolute favorites.
 

ANSWERS TO PHYL'S QUESTIONS:

1. Out of the classic movie stars still alive, who would you most like to meet AND what would you talk about?
I would like to meet Olivia de Havilland and I would ask her about Errol Flynn. I bet she could tell me a whole bunch of crazy stories about him. I would also love to meet Warren Beatty, simply because I love the man and I am always fascinated by him whenever I watch one of his films. Speaking of Warren Beatty, is anyone else as excited as I am about his new film, Rules Don't Apply (2016)? It looks amazing! Just my kind of film. And the cast is extraordinary.

2. One classic movie you really want to see, but can't seem to get your hands on.
Pretty much every silent film Gary Cooper ever made. There is this one in particular called Wolf Song (1929), which apparently contains a scene where he appeared almost entirely naked and who wouldn't want to see that? Another one that I also can't seem to find anywhere is Children of Divorce (1927), which he made with Clara Bow.

3. Current movie star crush (and by current I mean the one you're crushing on right now, not necessarily a current celebrity).
My current celebrity crush is James Norton, whom I completely fell in love with while watching a TV show called Grantchester a couple of months ago. Not only is he amazingly talented, but he is also a lovely person and so terribly handsome. I've been watching this other series he made, Happy Valley, and it only proved to me how brilliant an actor he actually is.

4. James Stewart or Gary Cooper?
That is IMPOSSIBLE to choose! Let's put it this way: if I was looking for someone to marry and settle down with, I would definitely chose James Stewart; if I was looking to have a bit of fun and basically someone to stare at the whole day, then I would go for Gary Cooper.

5. You're interning at a studio and you find a box hidden away that hasn't been touched in decades. What do you find inside?
Copies of the following supposedly lost films: The Forward Pass (1929) with Douglas Fairbanks Jr. and Loretta Young; Covention City (1932) with Joan Blondell and Dick Powell (apparently this film was so extraordinarily racy that Jack L. Warner had it destroyed); and Murder at Monte Carlo (1934), the first film Errol Flynn made in England.

6. What would you write your thesis on if you got a films studies degree?
Either Pre-Code Hollywood or juvenile delinquency in 1950s films. Or maybe Hollywood during World War II. The origins of film noir would be really interesting as well.


7. What TV house would you like to live in?
There are two TV houses in particular that I really like: the Foremans' house in That '70s Show and the second Cunnighams' house in Happy Days.

8. A classic movie star asks you to help them write their autobiography, who is it?
The obvious answer I guess would be James Stewart, seeing that he is my favourite classic actor. But actually, I'm going to say James Dean because he intrigues me more than any other Old Hollywood star. I think he was/is an absolutely fascinating creature and I would have loved to find out what made him tick and what made James Dean James Dean. Does that make sense? Anyway, that's my answer.

9. Do you prefer films with over-the-top costumes that are a feast to the eyes or films where the costumes aren't noticeable and where your main focus is the story?
I definitely prefer films where the main focus is the story. I find that lavish, over-the-top costumes — although stunning to look at — are often distracting.

10. Last year TCM had a free online class on Film Noir. What topic would you like to see a free class on in the future?
At the risk of sounding repetitive, Pre-Code Hollywood.

11. What Olivia de Havilland film are you most looking forward to seeing in July?
I'm planning to see all the films she made with Flynn that I haven't seen yet, so I guess those. I think I'm most looking forward to Santa Fe Trail (1940). Although I'm not a fan of Westerns, Ronald Reagan is in it as well and you know how much I love Ronnie.


 
ANSWERS TO BONNIE'S QUESTIONS:

1. Name the post that you are most proud of having written.
I wrote an article last year for The Classic Movie History Project Blogathon that had to do with juvenile delinquency in 1950s films, which is a theme I am really interested in. I was really proud of how the article turned out and I learned a lot while writing it.

2. What is your favourite movie star photo?
This one of James Stewart. I have no idea who took it or even what it was taken for, but I absolutely love it.

3. What is your favourite movie poster?
I would say probably the 
poster of Casablanca designed by Bill Gold. Fun fact that I've just learned: Apparently, Bogart's gun did not feature in the original draft. According to Gold, «My initial thoughts were to put together a montage showing all the characters depicted in the film. They appeared to be an interesting ensemble of notable characters. Something was missing, however. And I was asked to add some more 'excitement' to the scene. I added the gun in Bogart's hand, and the poster suddenly came alive with intrigue.» I also really like Saul Bass's poster of West Side Story (1961). I love the combination of black, white and red.
 
4. What is your favourite comedic exchange in a film?
The first that I can think of is this brilliant one from Born Yesterday (1950), between Judy Holliday (Billie Dawn) and Broderick Crawford (Harry Brock):
Billie Dawn: Would you do me a favor, Harry?
Harry Brock: What?
Billie Dawn: Drop dead.

5. What is your favourite dancing number?
The phenomenal «Moses Supposes» routine from Singin' in the Rain (1952). If it hadn't been for this particular number, I would never have discovered Gene Kelly and, consequently, I would never have fallen in love with classic films.

 
6. Name a film that didn't earn its happily-ever-after.
I genuinely cannot think of one. Although I wasn't particularly happy with how I Give It A Year (2013) ended. I think Rafe Spall and Rose Byrne should have ended up together. Granted, they were complete opposites, but I liked them together. The film concluded on a «happily-ever-after» note because they both found the person that they should supposedly be with, but to me that was the wrong person. Anyway, I hope that answers the question.
 
7. Name a sad ending you wouldn't change.
Waterloo Bridge, Splendor in the Grass (1961), Titanic (1997), Life is Beautiful (1997), Brokeback Mountain (2005), The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (2008), One Day (2011) and The Great Gatsby (2013).

8. What is a film you watch for pure pleasure; i.e. no real cinematic value?
I don't know, really. Maybe one of those teen flicks/romantic comedies of the late 1990s and early 2000s. Something like She's All That (1999) or Jersey Girl (2003), which I actually saw recently on television. They are utterly clichéd and will never win any awards, but I always find myself watching them whenever I catch them on TV.
 
9. What TV series would you like to see turned into a film?
The first that comes to mind is Chuck, which might be my favourite TV show of all time. But I want a film with all the original cast. I miss them so much! Especially Zachary Levi and Yvonne Strahovski, who are just amazing together. I would also love to see a Happy Days film, again with the original cast, though sadly Tom Bosley is no longer with us.

10. What book would you recommend for classic movie fans?
This might sound completely ridiculous, but I have never actually read any film-related book.

11. Name a film-related bucket-list item.
Visit the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the footprints at Grauman's Chinese Theatre.
 

11 FACTS ABOUT ME:

Since I can't possibly think of another 11 (mildly interesting) facts about myself, for this part of the «game» I'll just do what many people have done and answer my own questions.

1. If time travel were possible, which era would you travel to?
First, I would travel to the 1930s and 1940s in Los Angeles, California to experience firsthand the wonderful world of Old Hollywood. Then I would go to the 1980s, because I love absolutely everything about that decade, even the horrid fashion sense.

2. Favourite film from 1939?
So far, I would say definitely Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. James Stewart is perfect in it and he and Jean Arthur play off each other brilliantly. Other favourites (so far) include Gone with the Wind, Bachelor Mother and The Women.

3. Which actor/actress would you want to co-star with in a film?
The obvious choice would be Jimmy Stewart because he is my favourite classic actor. But I also think it would be fabulous to appear in a film with Gary Cooper — a lighthearted comedy, preferably. I would most definitely be fired after a week, though; I would be so enthralled by Coop's beauty that I wouldn't be able to deliver a single line. Also, Douglas Fairbanks Jr. in some sort of sophisticated comedy set amongst the British upper-class society he fitted so well into. That would have been amazing.
 
4. Favourite film that has won the Academy Award for Best Picture?
I have a few: It Happened One Night (1934), The Best Years of Our Lives (1946), Rain Man (1988), Schindler's List (1993), Forrest Gump (1994) and Titanic (1997).

5. Favourite movie scene?
The drunk scene between Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart in The Philadelphia Story (1940). That was the scene that made me fall in love with Jimmy, who in turn was the one that made me start watching black and white films. Second favorite is the gin rummy scene with Judy Holliday and Broderick Crawford in Born Yesterday.

6. Is there a film you wish would have ended differently?
I'm a sucker for happy endings, so of course I wish Myra and Roy had ended up together in Waterloo Bridge, or Deanie and Bud in Splendor in the Grass, or Ennis and Jack in Brokeback Mountain, although if they did those films would not have been as good. 
 
7. If you could bring a fictional character (cinematic or literary) to life, which one would you chose?
My favourite fictional character of all time is John Bender from The Breakfast Club (1985), so I would start with him. Also, Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice, preferably Matthew Macfadyen's Mr. Darcy (from the 2005 film version), and Billie Dawn from Born Yesterday, because I think she would be awesome to hang out with.

8. Favourite television character?
I have quite a few, actually: Chuck and Sarah from Chuck; Sidney Chambers from Grantchester; Ten and Rose from Doctor Who; Wolfgang and Will from Sense8; Joey from Friends; Richie, Fonzie and Chachi from Happy Days; Lucy and Ricky from I Love Lucy; Gyp Rosetti and Lucky Luciano from Broadwalk Empire; Matthew and Tom from Downton Abbey; Aramis from The Musketeers; and Jon Snow and Jamie Lannister from Game of Thrones.
 
9. What film have you seen more times than any other?
I think probably Pearl Harbor (2001), which is one of my absolute favourite films. I have seen it close to ten times and I love it each time. Some bits of dialogue I already know by heart. I am perfectly aware that Danny dies at end (spoiler alert!), but each time I pray that he stays alive.

10. Classic movie star that you can't stand or simply don't like.
Orson Welles (Citizen Kane traumatized me for life), Kay Francis, Stewart Granger and Tallulah Bankhead. I'm not too keen on John Wayne either.

11. Favourite Olivia de Havilland film?
So far, my favorite Olivia de Havilland is To Each His Own. She is stunning in it. I also really like Princess O'Rourke (1943), which I actually saw on her birthday.

 
And that is it. I hope that was interesting to read and once again, thank you Virginie, Simoa, Phyl and Bonnie for the nominations. Feel free to answer my questions in the comments, even if you haven't been nominated by me.  

Comments

  1. *Gasp face* that you don't like John Wayne!!!! Please watch Rio Grande. Thank you. ;)

    I just skipped the 11 facts about me for mine. Never thought to answer my own questions! *face palm*

    I can't wait to see Four's a Crowd. I've been waiting for TCM to show it for AGES!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess John Wayne is not really my type. However, I did genuinely like him in "The Quiet Man." I'll give "Rio Grande" a go sometime.

      "Four's a Crowd" is pretty good.

      Delete
    2. I just posted my top ten John Wayne films if you need any more suggestions ;)

      Delete
  2. This is so great! I really enjoyed reading through this :)

    I always thought that photo of Jimmy Stewart was an outtake from "Mr Smith Goes to Washington"- you know the sequence where they have the newspapers with him making ridiculous faces. I can't remember if I read that or if I just assumed, but that's where I always thought it was from lol.

    Also a random question, what didn't you like about Citizen Kane? I'm not one of those people who consider it THE GREATEST FILM OF ALL-TIME but I really like it. Plus, putting a ban on films with Orson Welles means you get less Joseph Cotten which is a real shame ;) I love me some Joseph Cotten <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura.

      Don't get me wrong. I think "Citizen Kane" is a great cinematic achievement as far as cinematography, editing and narrative structure go, but the film itself didn't do anything for me. It was one of the first classic (black & white) films I saw and I was actually pretty excited about it before watching it. AFI had classified it (twice!) as the greatest film of all time, so I thought, "Ok, this must be phenomenal." I was fairly interested in the beginning, but as the film progressed, I was like, "Oh my God, what have I gotten myself into?" And by the end of it, I was terribly disappointed to find that "Rosebud" was actually a sled. I mean, I do understand that the sled was supposed to be a reminder of his younger days - better days - and then when it was burned, it meant the destruction of all of that, but I don't know. I found it a bit anti-climatic, to be honest. Or maybe I just missed the whole point of it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Golden Couples: Gary Cooper & Patricia Neal

It was April 1948 when director King Vidor spotted 22-year-old Patricia Neal on the Warner Bros. studio lot. A drama graduate from Northwestern University, she had just arrived in Hollywood following a Tony Award-winning performance in Lillian Hellman's Another Part of the Forest . Impressed by Patricia's looks, Vidor approached the young actress and asked if she would be interested in doing a screen test for the female lead in his newest film, The Fountainhead (1949). Gary Cooper had already signed as the male protagonist, and the studio was then considering Lauren Bacall and Barbara Stanwyck to play his love interest.          Neal liked the script and about two months later, she met with the director for sound and photographic tests. Vidor was enthusiastic about Patricia, but her first audition was a complete disaster. Cooper was apparently watching her from off the set and he was so unimpressed by her performance that he commented, « What's that!? » He tried to con

Golden Couples: Henry Fonda & Barbara Stanwyck

In the mid- and late 1930s, screwball comedy was in vogue and practically every actress in Hollywood tried her hand at it. Barbara Stanwyck never considered herself a naturally funny person or a comedienne per se , but after delivering a heart-wrenching performance in King Vidor's Stella Dallas (1937), she decided she needed a « vacation » from emotional dramas. In her search for a role, she stumbled upon a « champagne comedy » called The Mad Miss Manton (1938), originally intended as a Katharine Hepburn vehicle. Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda as Melsa and Peter in The Mad Miss Manton .   Directed by Leigh Jason from a script by Philip G. Epstein, The Mad Miss Manton begins when vivacious Park Avenue socialite Melsa Manton finds a corpse while walking her dogs in the early hours of the morning. She calls the police, but they dismiss the incident — not only because Melsa is a notorious prankster, but also because the body disappears in the meantime. Sarcastic newspaper editor

Film Friday: «Who Was That Lady?» (1960)

Theatrical release poster Directed by George Sidney , Who Was That Lady? (19 60 ) begins when che mistry p rofessor David Wilson (Tony Curtis) is caught by his wife Ann (Janet Leigh) kissing one of his female st u de nts. To stop her from divo rcing him , he a sk s for hel p from his good friend, television writer Michael Haney (Dean Mart in), who invents a crazy story that Davi d is working undercover with the FBI and kissed the student — a foreign agent — in the line of du ty. To convince Ann, Mi ke tricks Schult z (William Newel l), a prop man at the T V studio, into fabricating an FBI identification card for David and s up plying him with a g un. Ann is so t hrilled by the idea of being married to a secret agent t hat she forgives David. Meanwhile, Mike sets up a date wi th the Coogle sisters, Gloria (Barbara N ichols) and Florence ( Joi Lan sing), and takes David along , telling Ann that the girls are foreign agents. Just as Ann realizes that her h usband ha s

Christmas in Old Hollywood

The beautiful Elizabeth Taylor with an extremely cute little friend. Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall with their son Stephen (early 1950s). Here they are again. What an adorable picture! Paulette Goddard looking rather uncomfortable next to her Christmas tree. Boris Karloff and Ginger Rogers at a Hollywood Christmas party in 1932. The adorable Shirley Temple chatting with Santa. Here she is again with a dolly friend. Look how cute she looks here, modeling a new Christmas dress (1935). The fur-tastic Joan Crawford. Doris Day asking us to "do not disturb until Christmas." Don't worry, Doris, we shall not. Though it's past Christmas now, so I'm sure Doris won't mind if we disturb just a little bit. Priscilla Lane looking sparkling drapped in her garlands. A VERY young Carole Lombard sitting next to her tree (1920s). Jean Harlow looking stunning as always. Janet Leigh looking extra cute unde

Films I Saw in 2020

For the past four years, I have shared with you a list of all the films I saw throughout 2016 , 2017 , 2018 and 2019 , so I thought I would continue the «tradition» and do it again in 2020. This list includes both classic and «modern» films, which make up a total of 161 titles. About three or four of these were re-watches, but I decided to include them anyway. Let me know how many from these you have seen. As always, films marked with a heart ( ❤ ) are my favorites. Sherlock Jr. (1924) | Starring Buster Keaton, Kathryn McGuire and Joe Keaton The Crowd (1928) | Starring James Murray, Eleanor Boardman and Bert Roach Young Mr. Lincoln (1939) | Starring Henry Fonda, Alice Brady and Marjorie Weaver Brief Encounter (1945) | Starring Celia Johnson, Trevor Howard and Stanley Holloway The Bells of St. Mary's (1945) | Starring Bing Crosby and Ingrid Bergman The Girl He Left Behind (1956) | Starring Tab Hunter and Natalie Wood Gidget (1959) | Starring Sandra Dee, Cliff Robertson an

Golden Couples: Clark Gable & Jean Harlow

  At the 3rd Academy Awards ceremony, MGM's hugely successful prison drama The Big House (1930) earned writer Frances Marion an Oscar for Best Writing. Hoping that she would be inspired to repeat that accomplishment, Irving Thalberg, head of production at Metro, sent Marion to Chicago, Illinois to research story ideas. While flicking through the pages of The Saturday Evening Post , she found an article revealing that, in a city where people distrusted the police, a small group of leading citizens met in secret to arrange their own justice for criminals. Marion took inspiration from that story and wrote The Secret Six (1931), in which Wallace Beery and Lewis Stone, stars of The Big House , play two mobsters prosecuted by a half a dozen vigilantes. Thalberg was pleased with the leading roles Marion wrote for Beery and Stone, but asked if she could also fill out one of the minor leads for Clark Gable , a tall, dark and handsome 30-year-old actor whom Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer had recen

Wings of Change: The Story of the First Ever Best Picture Winner

Wings was the first ever film to win the Academy Award for Best Picture. Since then, it has become one of the most influential war dramas, noted for its technical realism and spectacular air-combat sequences. This is the story of how it came to be made.   A man and his story The concept for Wings originated from a writer trying to sell one of his stories. In September 1924, Byron Morgan approached Jesse L. Lasky, vice-president of Famous Players-Lasky, a component of Paramount Pictures, proposing that the studio do an aviation film. Morgan suggested an «incident and plot» focused on the failure of the American aerial effort in World War I and the effect that the country's «aviation unpreparedness» would have in upcoming conflicts. Lasky liked the idea, and approved the project under the working title «The Menace.»   LEFT: Byron Morgan (1889-1963). RIGHT: Jesse L. Lasky (1880-1958).   During his development of the scenario with William Shepherd, a former war correspondent, Morga

80 Reasons Why I Love Classic Films (Part II)

I started this blog six years ago as a way to share my passion for classic films and Old Hollywood. I used to watch dozens of classic films every month, and every time I discovered a new star I liked I would go and watch their entire filmography. But somewhere along the way, that passion dimmed down. For instance, I watched 73 classic films in 2016, and only 10 in 2020. The other day, I found this film with Douglas Fairbanks Jr. that I had never heard of — the film is Mimi (1935), by the way — and for some reason it made me really excited about Old Hollywood again. It made me really miss the magic of that era and all the wonderful actors and actresses. And it also made me think of all the reasons why I fell in love with classic films in the first place. I came up with 80 reasons, which I thought would be fun to share with you. Most of them are just random little scenes or quirky little quotes, but put them together and they spell Old Hollywood to me. Yesterday I posted part one ; her

Top 10 Favourite Christmas Films

Christmas has always been a source of inspiration to many artists and writers. Over the years, filmmakers have adapted various Christmas stories into both movies and TV specials, which have become staples during the holiday season all around the world. Even though Christmas is my favourite holiday, I haven't watched a lot of Christmas films. Still, I thought it would be fun to rank my top 10 favourites, based on the ones that I have indeed seen. Here they are.  10. Holiday Affair (1949) Directed by Don Hartman, Holiday Affair tells the story of a young widow (Janet Leigh) torn between a boring attorney (Wendell Corey) and a romantic drifter (Robert Mitchum). She's engaged to marry the boring attorney, but her son (Gordon Gebert) likes the romantic drifter better. Who will she choose? Well, we all know who she will choose.   Holiday Affair is not by any means the greatest Christmas film of all time, but it's still a very enjoyable Yule-tide comedy to watch over the holi

The Sinatra Centennial Blogathon: Frank Sinatra & Gene Kelly

  In January 1944, MGM chief Louis B. Mayer happened to see a young crooner by the name of Frank Sinatra perform at a benefit concert for The Jewish Home for the Aged in Los Angeles. According to Nancy Sinatra, Frank's eldest daughter, Mayer was so moved by her father's soulful rendition of « Ol' Man River » that he made the decision right then and there to sign Frank to his studio. Sinatra had been on the MGM payroll once before, singing with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra in the Eleanor Powell vehicle Ship Ahoy (1942), although it is very likely that Mayer never bothered to see that film. Now that Frank was «hot,» however, Metro made arrangements to buy half of his contract from RKO, with the final deal being signed in February of that year. Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra in  Anchors Aweigh Being a contract player at the studio that boasted «more stars than there are in the heavens» gave Frank a sudden perspective regarding his own talents as a film performer. The «g