Since 2016 I have been sharing a list of all the films I saw throughout the year. In 2021 I decided to start doing this monthly and I will continue doing so this year. These are the films I saw in January, which make up a total of 15 titles. Films marked with a heart (❤) are my favourites.
- A Midnight Clear (1992) | Starring Ethan Hawke, Peter Berg and Gary Sinise
- The Lost Battalion (2001) | Starring Rick Schroder, Phil McKee and Jamie Harris
- Casino Royale (2006) | Starring Daniel Craig, Mads Mikkelsen and Eva Green
- Quantum of Solace (2008) | Starring Daniel Craig, Olga Kurylenko and Mathieu Amalric
- Skyfall (2012) | Starring Daniel Craig, Judi Dench, Javier Bardem and Naomie Harris
- Spectre (2015) | Starring Daniel Craig, Christoph Waltz and Léa Seydoux
- The Forgotten Battle (2021) | Starring Gijs Blom, Jamie Flatters and Susan Radder
- Being the Ricardos (2021) | Starring Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem
- ❤ Eternals (2021) | Starring Richard Madden, Gemma Chan and Angelina Jolie
- No Time to Die (2021) | Starring Daniel Craig, Rami Malek and Léa Seydoux
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021) | Starring Simu Liu
- The French Dispatch (2021) | Starring Frances McDormand and Adrien Brody
- The Last Duel (2021) | Starring Matt Damon, Adam Driver and Jodie Comer
- The Power of the Dog (2021) | Starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Kirsten Dunst
- The Tender Bar (2021) | Starring Ben Affleck, Tye Sheridan and Lily Rabe
Of the 15 films I saw in January, the one that stood out to me was Eternals. The cinematography and the visual effects were outstanding! The fighting sequences were really well done and the cast was amazing. I loved that it was so ethnically diverse and that they kept the actors' real accents. I loved Richard Madden as Ikaris, and I liked that he had a scene with Kit Harrington. It was a nice little Stark brothers reunion. I certainly did not expect him to turn out to be the villain of the story, but in the end it was his love for Sersi that redeemed him in a way. I think that was actually the whole point of the film, how complex relationships can be and how love can both destroy us and save us, and how we all long for that human connection.
Another thing I loved about Eternals was Druig and Makkari. They were so cute together! When she screamed after she thought Druig was dead... That broke my heart. I would pay good money to see a film with just the two of them. Or any film starring Barry Keoghan and Lauren Ridloff, really. Also, I think it was really cool that they cast a deaf actress to play Makkari.
And then there was that post-credits scene. Honestly, I cannot even describe the sound that came out of my mouth when I saw Harry Styles. It was so unexpected! I really they hope they make a sequel because I really want to see more of him in the MCU.