Tuesday, 25 October 2016

Top 20 Favorite Classic Movie Quotes

Whether it is a funny remark, an inspirational phrase or a terribly romantic line, I love a good movie quote. Although I am not very good at ranking my favorite things  since I change my mind all the time I thought it would be fun to compile my top 20 favorite classic movie quotes. These are quotes that have stayed with me ever since I watched these films. I know every single one of them by heart and some I even quote myself from time to time. Some of these are extremely well-known, others are just lines that I really love. There is even a quote from a silent film in this! Obviously, all of my choices are restricted to the films that I have seen so far.
 
*********************************************
#20: Insanity runs in my family. It practically gallops!
Cary Grant as Mortimer Brewster in Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)

 
*********************************************
#19: Kid, the next time I say, "Let's go someplace like Bolivia," let's GO someplace like Bolivia.
Paul Newman as Butch Cassidy in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)


*********************************************
#18: You're a ponctificating old poop!
Spencer Tracy as Matt Drayton in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967)


*********************************************
#17: Susan, when a man is wrestling a leopard in the middle of a pond, he's in no position to run.
Cary Grant as David Huxley in Bringing Up Baby (1938)


*********************************************
#16: Say, where'd you learn to dunk? In finishing school?
Clark Gable as Peter Warne in It Happened One Night (1934)


*********************************************
#15: I am big! It's the pictures that got small.
Gloria Swanson as Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard (1950)


*********************************************
#14: There's nothing between us. There has never been anything between us. Just air.
Gene Kelly as Don Lockwood in Singin' in the Rain (1952)


*********************************************
#13: I've been playing the craps game since I was a juvenile delinquent.
Frank Sinatra as Nathan Detroit in Guys and Dolls (1955)


*********************************************
#12: Get it out of Manton? Don't make me laugh. This tastes too good to choke on.
Henry Fonda as Peter Ames in The Mad Miss Manton (1938)


*********************************************
#11: I loved you from the first moment I saw you and you knew it.
Gary Cooper as Howard Roark in The Fountainhead (1949)


*********************************************
#10: Years ago, my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be [...] oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.
James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd in Harvey (1950)


*********************************************
#9: Did you think you were God, Brandon?
James Stewart as Rupert Cadell in Rope (1948)


*********************************************
#8: Oh Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars.
Bette Davis as Charlotte Vale in Now, Voyager (1942)


*********************************************
#7: What do you want, Mary? Uh? What do you want? Do you want the moon? Just say the word and I'll throw a lasso all around it and pull it down. Hey, that's a pretty good idea. I'll give you the moon, Mary.
James Stewart as George Bailey in It's a Wonderful Life (1946)



*********************************************
#6: Forget you? Not while I live not if I die.
John Gilbert as Leo van Harden in Flesh and the Devil (1926)


*********************************************
#5: You're tearing me apart!
James Dean as Jim Stark in Rebel Without a Cause (1955)


*********************************************
#4: I cannot live without my life. I cannot die without my soul.
Laurence Olivier as Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights (1939)


*********************************************
#3: You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it.
Marlon Brando as Terry Malloy in On the Waterfront (1954)



*********************************************
#2: Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
Clark Gable as Rhett Butler in Gone with the Wind (1939)


*********************************************
Humphrey Bogart as Rick Blaine in Casablanca (1942)


*********************************************
And this is it. These are my top 20 favorite classic movie quotes. What are your favorite movies quotes? Did I list some of them? Were you suprised by some of my choices?

No comments:

Post a Comment