Tuesday, 25 July 2017

Top 10 Favorite Films of the 1930s

The other day I was going through my list of all the films I have seen so far and it occured to me that it might be fun to a top 10 (or top 20, if I cannot narrow it down to just 10) of my favorite films of each decade. So today I am presenting you my top 10 favorite films of the 1930s. Please bear in mind that this my own personal opinion, which of course is limited to the films that I have thus far.

****************************************************
Directed by Ernst Lubitsch | Starring Gary Cooper, Claudette Colbert and David Niven | Paramount Pictures

An impoverish aristocratic marries a millionaire banker and teaches him a lesson. Supreme commedienne Claudette Colbert plays the impoverish aristocrat and All-American Gary Cooper plays the millionaire banker. What's not to like?


****************************************************
#9: Gone with the Wind (1939)
Directed by Victor Fleming | Starring Vivien Leigh, Clark Gable, Olivia de Havilland and Leslie Howard | MGM

Vivien Leigh spends three hours running away from Clark Gable and when she finally realizes that she loves and needs him, he doesn't give a damn. Serves her right, too.


****************************************************
#8: Love is News (1937)
Directed by Tay Garnett | Starring Tyrone Power, Loretta Young and Don Ameche | 20th Century Fox

Tyrone Power and Loretta Young are the single most attractive movie pairing that has ever graced our screens. If you don't believe me, just watch Love is News.


****************************************************
Directed by Alfred Santell | Starring Ginger Rogers, Douglas Fairbanks Jr. and Red Skelton | RKO

Ginger Rogers plays an office girl who falls in love with a law student-turned-waiter while vacationing at a camp in the Catskill Mountains. The waiter is played by Douglas Fairbanks Jr. Of course she would fall in love with him. Who wouldn't?


****************************************************
#6: Bringing Up Baby (1938)
Directed by Howard Hawks | Starring Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn and May Robson | RKO

Mix Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn and a leopard named Baby and what do you get? One of the kookiest, zaniest comedies of all time. And also one the best.


****************************************************
Directed by Frank Capra | Starring James Stewart, Jean Arthur, Claude Rains and Thomas Mitchell | Columbia Pictures

James Stewart was nominated for an Oscar with this film and they gave it to Bob Donuts, I mean, Robert Donat. Well, you can't always get it right.


****************************************************
#4: Vivacious Lady (1938)
Directed by George Stevens | Starring Ginger Rogers, James Stewart and Charles Coburn | RKO

James Stewart and Ginger Rogers had a thing going on when they made Vivacious Lady. Watching the film I kind of wished they had stayed together forever.


****************************************************
#3: Small Town Girl (1936)
Directed by William A. Wellman | Starring Robert Taylor, Janet Gaynor and James Stewart | MGM

Robert Taylor and Janet Gaynor in same film. It shouldn't work, but by golly it does!


****************************************************
#2: The Thin Man (1934)
Directed by W. S. Van Dyke | Starring William Powell, Myrna Loy and Maureen O'Sullivan | MGM

If there was ever such a thing as soulmates, I'd say William Powell and Myrna Loy were pretty much it. The Thin Man and its sequels are proof of that.


****************************************************
Directed by Frank Capra | Starring Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert and Walter Connolly | Columbia Pictures

Watching It Happened One Night and seeing the incredible chemistry and rapport between Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert, I would never have guessed in a million years that neither one of them wanted to make the film in the first place.



   **************************************************** 
And that's it. These are, as of this moment, my top 10 favorite films of the 1930s. Were you surprised by my choices? Did I mentioned any of your own favorites?
In other news, I'm back to the blogging world. I'm sorry that I was away for so long, but I had to put blogging aside for a while due to work. I promised I'll upload more regularly from now on. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Catia. I'm not sure if you will receive this comment, as I'm having problems commenting from my Wordpress account, and I can't find a more direct way to contact you. I just thought I would drop by to invite you to participate in my next blogathon. Here is the link below with more details.

    https://crystalkalyana.wordpress.com/2017/07/20/announcing-the-spencer-tracy-katharine-hepburn-blogathon/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! It's so hard to get it down to 10 isn't it. I haven't seen 7, 8, or 10.

    Welcome back!!!

    ReplyDelete